Friday 23 March 2018

Candidly Kind - Grace's story

@growingupwithKeyaan messaged me after connecting through our Candidly Kind Instagram asking me to share our story. What an honor! I love talking about Grace, my youngest of 3 daughters who definitely spiced up all our lives from the beginning:) My older 2 daughters are now out and living on their own, one out of college and one still studying which left my husband and I and Grace still in the nest. 
     Grace is a senior, which, let me tell you, is a transition that crept up on me. The worry about Grace’s future and how to best navigate the options and more importantly realizing what SHE wants to do in the next phase of her life, well it is so beyond any stress I dealt with when my other 2 were seniors. The hedge of protection is just way thicker with Grace. We have visited transition programs, college programs, discussed so many things. There are options and it can be overwhelming to say the least and each are  wonderful in helping prepare our extraordinary children for life. Grace, with our help, will choose to do one of those in the future. At the moment. she plans to go to college and it is now possible through so many schools! Yay!
    Candidly Kind just sort of happened out of a eureka moment for me late last fall during all the stress of this senior year transition stuff, meetings, college visits and well just EVERYTHING. LOL (moms know what I’m talking about)
    Grace had endured a difficult experience over the last couple of years leaving her alienated and excluded. She has always had a group of friends throughout school and been somewhat included in activities and loved by so many but her junior year of high school things changed out of an experience with a sport and a coach and ultimately the girls on the team. As a mom, I fought the battle...the battle I never thought I’d have to fight, for my child. Don’t get me wrong, I had fought plenty of battles throughout her life, but this one well it was different. It even attracted national press which was not fun or invited (even though the press was 100% in our corner). I never went public with anything concerning the situation. We refused I’d say at least  50 requests for interviews. The details I’ll leave for my future memoir, but whew it was tough! I still wrestle with it almost daily so please pray for me:) 
     Through the entire ordeal, Grace kept the sparkle in her eyes, the love in her heart. As she went through days of exclusion and friends backing away, she still loved them and spoke fondly of them, hugged them while holding her head high with confidence. Yes, she knew and understood what they had done to her but she had the capacity in her heart to love and forgive and move on. My girl has the unbelievable ability to accept people and actions without prejudice or judgement even when they are targeting her in a negative way.
   I was thinking about Grace one morning while sobbing on the car ride home from taking her to school. I was feeling hurt and betrayed myself while thinking how she was able to forgive so easily. At that moment, it came to me we should share Grace’s wonderful heart through her art and authentic words. Literally it just hit me in the midst of my emotional distress. And so, Candidly Kind was founded that day in my car. I truly believe the Lord laid it on my heart. It has become a deep passion I have consistently felt must come to fruition. 
  Grace is so excited about this venture. We just released her first painting and message on t-shirts on World Down syndrome day (which is why this is 2 days late getting to Lisa...so sorry) We were slammed getting the website up for preorders and all. Grace plans to use whatever income produced for her future plans, college etc. 25% of all profits are being donated to various charities with our same vision. Ruby’s Rainbow will receive charitable proceeds from our flagship design “Be the Light”.  The design, painting and writing are all 100% Grace...(oh and the Candidly Kind logo is 100% her idea and design as well ❤️❤️❤️) We decided it was the perfect flagship design for her to share. It fully embraces our vision for Candidly Kind which is to spread light, love and acceptance all over he world. 
   Thank you for asking me to share our story! It was a much needed respite allowing me to reflect and regroup after 2 days of fun yet busy chaos during our first Candidly Kind t-shirt release. Anyone who would like to connect for advice or support please don’t hesitate. My email and door are always open:) 
Peace and love-
Carrie Key & Grace
Candidly Kind
   
Oh and please always...

“Be the Light”

No comments:

Post a Comment